Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My absolute favourite gift - homemade bath salts

This must be one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways to make a fabulous gift in almost no time. I've been trying my hand at these and really love seeing the smells and colours mix to create the perfect bath time treat.

I like using organic ingredients wherever I can. I've found that they are soft on the skin and leave me bathing with a clean conscience. Most commercially made bath salts are full of chemicals that destroy the environment and your skin. Organic is a bit more expensive, but definitely worth the cost!

These are a few of my favourite recipes:

Soft Citrus Twist:

1/2 Cup Baking Soda

1/4 Cup Epsom Salts

1/4 Teaspoon Orange Fragrance oil

1/4 Teaspoon Tangerine or Lemon Fragrance oil

Blend all ingredients in a blender until a fine powder

Summer Garden:

1 Cup Epsom Salts

1 Tablespoon Baking Soda

3 Drops Bergamot Fragrance oil

3 Drops Rose Geranium Fragrance oil

3 Drops Lavender Fragrance oil

2 Drops Frankincense Fragrance oil

Mix thoroughly

Cool Breeze:

1 Cup Epsom Salts

1 Cup Baking Soda

4 Drops Blue Organic Food Coloring

3 Drops Jasmine Fragrance oil

4 Drops Vanilla Fragrance oil

2 Tablespoons Glycerin

Mix ingredients and ensure that the oils are equally distributed

Relax a while:

1 Cup Instant Powdered Skim Milk

1 Tablespoon Powdered Orris Root

3/4 Cup Dead Sea Salt

10 Drops Jasmine Fragrance oil

7 Drops Ylang Ylang Fragrance oil

5 Drops Bergamot Fragrance oil

Mix ingredients thoroughly

Wild Earth:

1/2 Cup Epsom Salts

1 Cup Baking Soda

1/2 Cup Rock Salt

1/2 Tablespoon Vitamin E oil

2 Teaspoons Almond oil

20 Drops Patchouli Fragrance oil

15 Drops Cypress Fragrance oil


The fun thing about making your own bath salts is that you can customize them and create your own recipes. For a longer lasting aroma, spread the salt on a large paper and let it settle down for a day or two before you place it in a jar. Package your lovely salts in pretty glass jars and seal them tight. I always round mine off with a ribbon, cute label and a sprig of lavender on top. I also like adding some lavender or mint leaves inside the jar for decoration. Sprinkle a few spoons into the bath and relax a bit.

I sure need to...

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad to see this. I was thinking about going out to buy some new bath salts... but making them would be so much better.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is quite satisfying to jump into the tub filled with handmade bath salts. I've been looking for some good recipes for body lotions too. Will post them as soon as I've tried to make some.

    ReplyDelete